Sunday, April 22, 2018

The Carson Dress

Sew Days

I put off making the Carson Dress pattern for a while because it only comes in PDF form. Now the last thing I want to do is tape a bunch of 8x11 pages together, but I kept seeing all these really cute versions on Instagram I decided to go for it. After I taped together the 38 pages for the pattern I proceeded to cut out the L first for the dress, then size XXL for the coat hack. I had some lovely olive linen and Lotta Jansdotter print both from Fabricmart. Directions are very clear and it would be a great pattern for a beginner. I chose to do pleats, to add fullness to the front and back I moved the pattern pieces 2 inches from the fold on the skirt pieces.
*UPDATE* the Carson Dress pattern is now available in AO shop printing version.
Finished Carson Dress


Contrasting pocket







Carson Coat Hack

Instead of placing the front pieces on a fold, I put the pattern pieces, both 2 inches from the selvage this would now become my button plackets. I also made facings the fronts and back. The finished pieces went together very easily, I clean finished all the edges with a  zigzag stitch over all the edges.

Front Facing and Button Placket

Side View
Back Facing


Finished Carson Dress and Coat Hack
Finished Coat Dress
Back Detail


2 comments:

  1. Your dress and coat turned out beautifully. I love everything about it including your lovely label. I have never used a PDF pattern for the same reason. Taping all those pieces together seems like too much work and an easy way to make a mistake, if you don't get them just right. I say Bravo to you.
    Happy stitching.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you Connie, I really love how it all came together. Good news on the Carson Dress pattern the designer has just come out with a copy shop version so you won't have to worry with that taping bit anymore,so do give this pattern a try

    ReplyDelete